Will County Sheriff's Office
Telecommunicator Eligibility List
This post closes for registration on
Sunday, April 20th, 2014 at 11:59 P.M.
The Will County Sheriff's Office is compiling an eligibility list for the position of Telecommunicator. There are currently no open positions, but in the event of a telecommunicator position becoming available, the Sheriff's Office will select a candidate from this eligibility list. To be able to apply for the position, if one becomes available, you will need to have successfully completed the testing procedure.
|Possible Exemption: A possible exemption is available for telecommunicators with a minimum of 2 years experience with a law enforcement agency and are in good standing.|
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Minimum age requirement of 18 years old
- You must possess a valid driver's license
- You must possess a High School Diploma / GED
- Resident of Will County (within one year of being hired)
- Able to effectively communicate in English (both written and oral)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Successful completion of a data entry test
- Full range of hearing in both ears
- Able to differentiate between colors and shades of color
About the Job:
- This position is covered under a collective bargaining agreement represented by AFSCME Council 31, Local 1028
- The starting annualized salary is $36,836.
- Rotating shifts/days off
- Paid Vacation; Holidays; Sick Leave; Personal Days
- Group insurance (including Medical, Dental, Vision & Life)
- Voluntary benefits
- Participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (pension plan)
- Responsible for answering and processing emergency 9-1-1 and non-emergency calls for police service via a computer-aided dispatch system
- Transmit and receive messages between County police units and other law enforcement agencies
- Monitor public safety alarm system(s)
- The position performs entries and queries into local, state, and Federal databases. A high level of confidentiality with regard to information entered and obtained is essential
- Other related duties as assigned
- Regular, predictable and punctual attendance
Physical and Mental Abilities:
- The position requires the ability to multi-task while handling stressful emergency situations in a calm and professional manner
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is required to sit/stand for an extended period of time, reach with hands and arms, talk, hear and have manual dexterity
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to twenty (20) pounds
The Hiring / Testing Process Will Consist Of ....
- Successful completion of a keyboarding/data entry test no later than April 25th, 2014
- Applicants are to contact The Reserves (staffing agency) located at 2724 Caton Farm Road, Joliet, TX: 815- 556-8275.
- The Reserves is open Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- The cost of this test is $25.00 (cash or check) and is the applicant's responsibility.
- All applicants must pass the keyboarding / data entry test requirements to proceed to the next level of testing.
- Only the applicants who have obtained the result of Intermediate or above on the keyboarding / data entry test will be considered to continue through the hiring / testing process.
- A copy of the results of the keyboarding/data entry test must accompany a completed WCSO Civilian Job Application and be received by April 30th, 2014
- This information is to be delivered to Chief Deputy J. McDowell (firstname.lastname@example.org) of the Will County Sheriff’s Office Enforcement Unit, at 2402 East Laraway Road, Joliet, Illinois, 60433 (in-person or via e-mail).
- Written examination
- Psychological examination
** Each testing phase is dependent upon passing the one prior
This class specification should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Reasonable accommodation for the specific disability will be made for the incumbent/applicant when possible.
Successful candidates will be subject to a background investigation, polygraph test, oral interview, physical examination, and drug screening. Once hired, the candidate will complete a 26 week training cycle across all three ( 3 ) shifts. The pre-employment selection test will be held on
Tuesday, May 6th, 2014 at 5:00 pm
Joliet Junior College Room D-2001 - 1215 Houbolt Rd, Joliet, Illinois, 60431-8938.
Map to Location ( ) | Driving Directions ( )
You must bring a current, valid driver's license, no traffic tickets or state ID's will be accepted. Without your driver's license, you will not be allowed to participate in the test. Registration will begin at 5:00 pm. The test takes approximately 4 hours, and will begin after a short orientation. If you arrive after 5:30 pm, you will not be allowed inside the testing area. Please allow yourself sufficient time to travel to this area, and locate the testing facility.
You are allowed to bring one ( 1 ) bottle of water with you inside the testing area.
YOU MUST LEAVE ALL CELL PHONES, PAGERS, HATS / HEAD COVERINGS IN YOUR VEHICLE. THESE ITEMS ARE NOT PERMITTED INSIDE THE TESTING AREA.