Will County Sheriff's Office
Telecommunicator Eligibility List
This post closes for registration on
Sunday, February 3rd at 11:59 P.M.
The Will County Sheriff's Office is compiling an eligibility list for the position of Telecommunicator. There are currently no open positions, but in the event of a telecommunicator position becoming available, the Sheriff's Office will select a candidate from this eligibility list. To be able to apply for the position, if one becomes available, you will need to have successfully completed the testing procedure.
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Minimum age requirement of 18 years old
- You must possess a valid driver's license
- You must possess a High School Diploma / GED
- Resident of Will County (within one year of being hired)
- Able to effectively communicate in English (both written and oral)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Type accurately with a speed of at least 40 WPM (a typing test will be administered upon successful completion of written examination)
- Full range of hearing in both ears
- Able to differentiate between colors and shades of color
About the Job:
- This position is covered under a collective bargaining agreement represented by AFSCME Council 31, Local 1028
- The starting annualized salary is $36,113. The current salary range is $36,113 - $50,018 (F1 – F12)
- Rotating shifts/days off
- Paid Vacation; Holidays; Sick Leave; Personal Days
- Group insurance (including Medical, Dental, Vision & Life)
- Voluntary benefits
- Participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (pension plan)
- Responsible for answering and processing emergency 9-1-1 and non-emergency calls for police service via a computer-aided dispatch system
- Transmit and receive messages between County police units and other law enforcement agencies
- Monitor public safety alarm system(s)
- The position performs entries and queries into local, state, and Federal databases. A high level of confidentiality with regard to information entered and obtained is essential
- Other related duties as assigned
- Regular, predictable and punctual attendance
Physical and Mental Abilities:
- The position requires the ability to multi-task while handling stressful emergency situations in a calm and professional manner
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is required to sit/stand for an extended period of time, reach with hands and arms, talk, hear and have manual dexterity
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to twenty (20) pounds
The Hiring / Testing Process Will Consist Of ....
- Pre-Employment selection testing
- Typing - 40 words per minute
- Psychological Testing
** Each testing phase is dependent upon passing the one prior
This class specification should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Reasonable accommodation for the specific disability will be made for the incumbent/applicant when possible.
Successful candidates will be subject to background investigation, polygraph test, physical examination, drug screening, and an oral interview. Once hired, the candidate will complete a 26 week training cycle across all three ( 3 ) shifts. The pre-employment selection test will be held on
Wednesday, February 6th, 2013 from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm at
Joliet Junior College Room D-2001 - 1215 Houbolt Rd, Joliet, Illinois, 60431-8938.
Map to Location ( ) | Driving Directions ( )
You must bring a current, valid driver's license, no traffic tickets or state ID's will be accepted. Without your driver's license, you will not be allowed to participate in the test. Registration will begin at 5:00 pm. The test takes approximately 4 hours, and will begin after a short orientation. If you arrive after 5:30 pm, you will not be allowed inside the testing area. Please allow yourself sufficient time to travel to this area, and locate the testing facility.
You are allowed to bring one ( 1 ) bottle of water with you inside the testing area.
YOU MUST LEAVE ALL CELL PHONES, PAGERS, HATS / HEAD COVERINGS IN YOUR VEHICLE. THESE ITEMS ARE NOT PERMITTED INSIDE THE TESTING AREA.
To register, please click on the Pre-Employment Selection Test Registration Form link at the bottom of this page. By clicking on this link and registering, you acknowledge that you have read and understand and agree with the information presented on this page.
Also, a completed general application for employment must be completed, and brought with you on the day of this test. Please click on the General Employment Application link.
Test Registration Form | General Employment Application ( )